Sunday, October 09, 2005







Reflections on Arizona-
Sitting here at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport I decided to take a few minutes to fire up the laptop and refelct on the week of travel that I have experienced. What an awesome trip. The weather was excellent the entire week, sunny and hot (90 degrees+ everyday). From the business standpoint Nationwide received their money's worth for my ticket out. I was able to meet with many of my best clients this week face to face. Phone coversations, email, and conference calls don't provide a true understanding of who you are truly dealing with. While I grumble and complain about my business partner out here in Phoenix for his old fashioned ways and reluctance to embrace technology, he is a very nice man. He really went the extra mile to make me feel welcome and to introduce me to several key players. The conversations we had over dinner and in the car were well worth while. On one hand he doesn't want to loose me as a team member he realizes that my skills and abilities will take me far and he wants to help me get to the next level of my career. This year has been my best year at Nationwide- I am poised to be the #1 sales representative in my division and will receive a very nice trip to Huntington Beach, CA during the winter as a reward (OK- that reminds me-- gotta get back to the gym).
I didn't get the partial vacation that I was hoping for on Nationwide's dollar-- the good side of it is that I still have some vacation time left to take and will have some money to do it on. I am considering a New Years/ 30th birthday trip at the end of the year-- if anyone wants to go let me know-- I originally was thinking Chicago-- but the warm sun and Palm trees on this trip reminded me of how much fun Florida or California would be (no worries Megan-- I'll still be up in November). I did get the opportunity to take a 4 hour Jeep tour through the desert on Friday afternoon - WOW that was amazing. The guide took us up to Mountain to a small plateau- where we could see for miles. Enermous cactus surrounded us as we enjoyed out picnic lunch. The guides educated the group on the history of the Indians that once habitated in the area. On a short hike we soon saw ancient indian carvings on the side of the mountain that told the history of the tribe that once lived there. Back in the Jeep we spotted some Jackrabbits and rattle snakes just doing their think out in the wilderness. The pure silence and the hot sun under the crystal blue sky was amazing and allowed me some time to absorb what this natural envionment was all about. I can not imagine being a pioneer and crossing the desert in a horse drawn wagon... what an adventure that must have been.
The resort where the conference was located was literally built up on the side of a mountain-- From the balcony of my room I could see the entire city lights of Tucson. Sparkling like a million diamonds against the mountains. It was beautiful.
I was surpised to discover what a Country and Western town this was. The radio dial is filled with country music and of course Mexican music. Last night (Saturday) I found the local western bar, Chariles. I went over about 10pm and the place was packed! Line dancing, two-stepping, cowboys, etc-- you name it, they had it. I am not the best dancer so I just enjoyed a cold drink and watched all the dancing from the sidelines. Talked to some locals-- but ending up hanging out with some guys from San Diego and Houston-- go figure the travelers all hang out together. Sad to say I was exhausted and was in bed by 12:30--- keep in mind I had been up since 5:45 AM after going to bed at 2 AM this nite before-- and after driving 2 hours from Tucson to Phoenix-- needless to say I will sleep good tonite-- and hopefully on the plane ride hope.
Now for thoughts on conservative Republicans- as promised. My business partner here in Phoenix is a very very very conservative Republican. I tend to be a moderate to liber Democrat. Throughout the week he kept telling me that as I climb the corporate ladder and enjoy success I will convert to be a Republican. This outraged me and made turned me even more to the far left. I know his rationale is that as my income increases I will want to enjoy the tax incentives designed for the rich by Republicans. I do hope to increase my earnings and become very successful in my career- but I am willing to pay my fair portion to help the less fortunate. The tax cuts have got to stop. I mean here we are going so deep in debt for the war in Iraq and Hurricane relieft- but yet some Republicans are not in favor of raising taxes. Plus Bush still wants to overhaul Social Security- don't forget about that! It seems only to make common sense that if we as a nation are going to increase our spendings- we need to increase our income. I don't like paying taxes any more than the next guy- but I do want to see our country safe and secure, I do want to see all those devasted by the hurricanes to receive help, I do want to see the many social problems that our own society has today to be addressed-- so I am willing to chip in my part to get the job done. I would like to propose that our Senators and Congressman cut some corners-- a little less luxury on capital hill. I heard a report on the news the other day about the very expensive cars owned by our elected officials-- why not drive an Accord or Camry or Taurus like the rest of us? Ok --- I've vented enough!
Well I need to power down the PC and head over towards my gate -- I will post some pictures soon.
I hope this didn't get too long for you- I needed to catch up!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Amen. I think that Katrina proved that too small of a government fails the people its supposed to support. It's all about finding a happy medium in the size of government.