Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Observation on being connected-

Last night I stopped by Cup of Joe for a warm shot of caffine before heading to the church for a meeting. It also gave me about 30 minutes to study for my insurance course that I am taking. I was stopping by because I didn't have time to run home and then be at the church in time for the meeting and caffine was needed to stay awake.

While I was there I noticed something that I had seen many times before - but never really contemplated. The conclusion I came to is that everyone desires to be connected and fears being alone. The coffee shop was packed, mostly by singles set up at their lap top or with a book. The laptop surfers were generally instant messaging and the book readers were often interrupted by a cell phone call or a text message. It seems that we all were there wanting to be with someone - to not be alone & bond with others.

I contemplated this thought with my recent dating experiences of being told "I want a relationship" and "I will call you tomorrow" or "I'll see you soon." and once again I am struggling to make sense of why if we all desire to be friends, family, or even better someone we love.... than why do we build walls around ourselves???

OK - enough deep thoughts- back to work... unless my instant messager service or cell phone rings.

4 comments:

Meg said...

I agree with you completely!~ I think that we do a lot to stay away from others intentionally and unintentionally.

It's a lonely ball we're all riding on, it's a good thing we've got company.

Missy said...

Andy, their is a lot of diffrences between one persons alone and anothers alone. Some people are lonly when they are alone because they don't really feel any conection to themselves. Others are never really lonly because no matter where they are, well there they are. As for all the text messaging and cell calls, they all probably have 3 year olds and care givers who want to know when they will pick up the little deamons!!! Remember Andy, you are never alone!

Rhonda said...

I struggle with the walls myself.

Heather said...

Walls are built to keep out personal pain, not to intentionally hurt others. What people don't realize that in keeping out pain, one shuts out all truly great feelings too. All that remains is a shell that logically seeks companionship, but emotionally runs from it.

It's a sad truth and difficult obstacle to overcome in "Relationship World."

But don't let the bitterness at others having this problem twist you into a similar monster. Keep feeling and earnestly seeking a great love even if it hurts. Pain indicates feelings and feelings should be exaulted, not criticized.

Somebody is bound to be similarily hunting and will appreciate your effort. Or, at the very least, your efforts will start to thaw the wall of ice their heart hides behind.