Monday, July 18, 2005

The Simple Life-

Paris, oh Paris-- where is the Simple Life??? I don't believe Paris Hilton and Nicole Rithcie succeded in finding the simple life and neither have I. I keep wondering when this this whirlwind of chaos and madness that I call my existence slow down. Here it is July 18th and I still have the 2 books I purchased for "summer reading" and I have not even cracked them yet. I dream of a summer like the ones in those Countrytime Lemonade commericals. You know, lounging in a hammock under a large oak tree with an ice cold glass of fresh lemonade and a good novel in hand.

I was on the run go all day yesterday- I left the condo at 8am and got home at 12:00 midnite. Yikes! First was off to the good ole baptist church - where I only get more and more frustrated. Let me open this by saying that I attend a Reconciling United Methodist Church here in Columbus. We welcome ALL regardless of race, sex, or sexual orientation- we truly embrace the Methodist theme of Open Hearts Open Minds Open Doors. Ok- that being said- the deacon of the Baptist church gets up to talk about a vote they are having on July 31st- apparently the American Baptist Conference is trying to being an affirming and welcoming church for Gay and Lesbians (that's right folks- Baptists welcoming Gays and Lesbians???-- did Hell freeze over?). With that being said he states that the Kenton Church does not agree with this and if the denomination does welcome Gays and Lesbians that they will sever their association with them and become independent. I have livid from behind the organ. I realize that they are very conservative and mostly republican, but I didn't realize how homophobic they truly were. It was an upsetting moment for me. Later in the afternoon my dad was helping me wash my Jeep and we had a good conversation. I expressed my dislike for the direction of the church and explained how my church is welcoming to all and how wonderful it is. I also expressed my frim belief that we are all sinners and it is not for us as humans to judge which sins can be forgiven through God's grace and which can't. I was surprised when he agreed with me and told me that didn't like the direction that the church was going and was concerned. All and all it proved to be an interesting day.

After having a birthday dinner with my sister (her birthday is tomorrow) I can back to Columbus. Joe and I the went to the best drag show on the planet- Mary Ann Brandt. If you have never seen her shows you should go. I laughed until I cried and then laughed some more. It was just what I neeed after the Baptist ordeal earlier in the day.

Last night at the show Joe and I were talking about the week ahead and our trip to Chicago, about the Baptist ordeal, and my emotions dealing with Megan's recent diagnosis and I realized how lucky I am to have him in my life for support. I am a lucky guy!

Well- hopefully by this time tomorrow the new floor should be in living room- so the remodel will be done for 2005.

No comments: