Sunday, July 24, 2005

There is no place like home.

Just arrived home from the great Chicago / Wisconsin trip. First of all I had not quite figured out that this wedding was being held in the middle of God's cheese country on Earth. Megan had told me that it was an hour north of Chicago. From what I had experience with Chicago traffic in the past I figured it would be in the suburbs of Chicago.

The reality was that it was in a delightful little town along Lake Michigan. The room we had at The Best Western overlooked a cheese and bratwurst outlet. How appropriate right?
I had such a good time catching up with Megan, her friend Dawn, and meeting all her college and post-grad friends. To be honest I was a little nervous about taking Joe along as a date to the wedding. Everyone was so welcoming and took us both in. Joe quickly made friends with everyone- I thought the groom's mother might take him home with her and make him pancakes each morning.

The wedding was beautiful- simple and elegant on the shores of Lake Michigan. I was standing with all the rest of the groomsmen and they recited their vows and I could not look over at Megan and Matt without tearing up. So I looked out at the audience where Joe was smiling back at me and then I just lost it and let the tears of happiness rip. I am so happy for Megan and so happy to have Joe in my life.

The road trip was a unique experience for Joe and I- it was definitely an adventure. If you want to truly get to know your significant other my suggestion is to spend 12 hours in a car together- the good the bad and the ugly will all get out in the open. My favorite memory was driving from Ikea in Chicago to Wisconsin. I was driving and Joe had fallen asleep in the passenger seat. I was approaching the toll booth and thought the sign said $.50-- and I found 2 quarters and steering into the exact change lane. When I threw it in the collection box and the gate didn't open I saw the sign said $1.50 exact change only! Holy crap - I shook Joe awake and within seconds he jumps into the back seat of the Jeep and is rummaging through every piece of luggage we had on board. As I dig through the glove box. It was CHAOS but looking back it was hilarious.

OK- time for bed. I will try to write some more tomorrow.

Good night.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yeah, Sweetie! When are you going to send me pics? I'm so happy for you that the trip went so well. Did you bring back some cheese and sausage? I hope you did. Eat well. ~Ferguson

Kristin said...

Yum. Cheese.

You two are so cute together. *awwww*