Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Weathering the storm-

Well we have weather the remants of Hurricane Katrina here in Ohio. This entails about 24 hours of non-stop rain showers. Given the fact that our grass was brunch and crunchy from the dry weather conditions, it was a very welcome rain.

The more news coverage I watch about the horrible mess left in New Orleans and all along the Gulf Coast I just am overwhelmed with emotion. I feel so horrible for my American brothers and sisters in such need. I can not even fathom what it must be like evacuating an entire city like New Orleans. Then you hear the real life stories about people that clung to trees during the storm after their century old homes were blown away.

My heartfelt prayers and thoughts are with these folks. I plan on giving to the Red Cross and urge all of you to give as well. What is it for us to give up a weekend of eating out at nice places for folks to simply receive a warm dry bed to sleep in and a meal to eat??

It does feel strange to be so excited about leaving for a weekend in the Smokey Mtns. of TN for a weekend of relaxation when there is such a disaster occuring right here in our country. I guess that I need to contribute to the charities, pray for the families in crisis, and keep the entire region in my thoughts and prayers.

Other than that not much else going on-- the weeks do seem to go by quickly when you are taking Friday off!!

1 comment:

amber said...

Prayers & money really are all we can do - at least for now, Andrew! And it's awesome that you sent money - that is so desparately needed right now. I donated today also, to MCC, another awesome agency with low overhead costs.

Have a great time in Tennessee - you need a break :0) Take care of yourself!